3.08.2014

Puppy Scam Alert :: Someone Using my Photo

Susan Gebhart aka Mrs. G
Thanks so much to Becky Isaacs, several of my FB corgi friends, and the good folks at Corgis & Furfriends Rescue, Foster and Transportation in North America, I was notified today that someone in the Dallas Area is using a photo of me in a scam puppy advertisement for corgi puppies on Craig's List in Dallas. I can't thank these folks enough for the e-mails, FB messages and phone calls alerting me to the scam and fraudulent use of my photo. Corgis & Furfriends Rescue has done a great job of posting to their FB page to alert others that this is a scam too. I am asking all of my friends on Face Book and the web to share as well. The individual that placed the Craig's List ad and used my photo is pretty clever - there is a phone # on one ad that is not in service and a phone # on another ad that seems to work. I've texted and left a voicemail. There is also an e-mail address but the ad never mentions who or where the seller is. I have reported the scam ads to Craig's List and hope they will get the ads taken down quickly. 

This just goes right along with what I've written on this site and what I tell people all the time. If you see an advertisement or web site where it is not transparent as to who the breeder/seller is .... be careful. Even when a photo(s) is included that seems good, consider the photo in the context of everything else on the ad or site. Be sure the person says who they are, where they are located, provides a way to speak with you on the phone or in person. Reputable breeders will make references available, will have Facebook pages, or others means for you to crosscheck who they are and demonstrate that they are on the up and up. If an ad or site seems to be trying to get you to buy from a mystery person there is something wrong.

I know scams happen all the time and recently heard that a bulldog breeder we know had the same thing happen to her. It's really aggravating!!!!